A friend shared this on Facebook and it’s so cute and easy that I just had to share it with you! The picture shared shows this fingerprint craft as a Christmas ornament but you could also find a good magnet to glue onto the back of it and hang it on your refrigerator.
As you see in the photo, all it takes is a few simple ingredients that you probably already have in your kitchen cabinets or pantry.
Here is what you need:
- 2 cups of flour
- 1 cup of salt
- cold water
- small piece of wire, ornament hook, or a loop hook (from a craft store) OR a strong magnet
- wax paper
- gold, silver, or bronze metallic spray paint
Here is what you do:
Mix the flour and salt together.
- Preheat your oven to 250 degrees.
- Add a little bit of water at a time as you continue to mix the mixture and stop adding water when it is the consistency of that well known child’s art medium – Play Doh!
- Put the dough on wax paper and roll or flatten the homemade dough then cut it with cookie cutters or a knife (if you are having your little one do the cutting, you should use a plastic knife).
- Stick the wire, ornament hook, or craft store loop hook into the dough (at what will be the top so you will have something to hang it with. Note: If you are doing this as a magnet, skip this step.
- Have everyone in your family press a finger into the dough. (A great variation is to do this with just your children’s fingerprints and use it as a gift for Grandma or Great Aunt Suzie).
- Use a sharp pencil to etch the year into the middle of the ornament.
- Bake the fingerprint ornament/magnet in the oven for 2 hours.
- After the fingerprint ornament/magnet cools, spray with with a metallic colored spray paint and let it dry.
- If you are doing this craft idea as a magnet, use super glue or a hot glue gun to stick a string magnet to the back of the mold.